RE: eggshells, therizinosaurs & tyrannosaurs

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Ken Kinman wrote:

> >You mean "sensu Sereno".  Maniraptora sensu stricto is "modern birds and all
> >taxa closer to modern birds than to Ornithomimidae": see Gauthier 1986.
>      I just meant that Maniraptora "sensu Sereno" is "sensu stricto" (in the
> least inclusive sense), whereas "sensu Gauthier" would be sensu lato (a more
> inclusive sense, at least using Sereno's phylogeny).
>       Sereno does not seem to follow Gauthier's definition of Maniraptora,
> and instead uses a new clade name, Tyrannoraptora.

Actually, Tyrannoraptora is a node-defined group (_Tyrannosaurus_ +
Neornithes), while Maniraptora is stem-defined (Neornithes <--
_Ornithomimus_).

Tyrannoraptora may be a subclade of Maniraptora, or it may be a junior
heterodefinitional synonym of Maniraptoriformes, or it may include
Maniraptoriformes. I've seen phylogenies all three ways.

> Apparently another case of cladistic disunity on what definitions to
> use!!??

According to my observations, Sereno doesn't have much respect for
priority (even his own), eponymity, or the possibility that someone else's
phylogeny might be more correct.

T. Michael Keesey <tmk@dinosauricon.com> | AIM <Ric Blayze> | ICQ <77314901>
                 My Worlds <http://dinosauricon.com/keesey>
                 The Dinosauricon <http://dinosauricon.com>