RE: eggshells, therizinosaurs & tyrannosaurs

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> T. Mike Keesey
>
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Jaime A. Headden wrote:
>
> [Maniraptora]
> >   Sereno has not coined a new definition, and it would
> > probably be ignored if he did.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, I'm away from any literature, but I could *swear*
> he (re)defined Maniraptora as (_Oviraptor_ + Neornithes).

Yep: see both the 1997 paper in Annual Reviews of Earth & Planetary Sciences
and the 1998 paper in Neues Jarhbuch.

> >   Sereno's Tyrannoraptora corresponds to "all taxa
> > sharing a most recent common ancestor with
> > *Tyrannosaurus* and birds, and all descendants of that
> > ansector".
> [...]
> > Thus, Tyrannoraptora includes Maniraptora
>
> It includes Maniraptora _sensu_ Sereno (the node-defined group), but it is
> actually *included by* Maniraptora _sensu_ Gauthier/Holtz (the
> stem-defined group), according to Sereno's phylogeny (if not according to
> his definitions).
>
> In Holtz's phylogeny, Tyrannoraptora is a junior synonym of
> Maniraptoriformes, and therefore includes Maniraptora (either sense).
>
> In another phylogeny (was it Sues'??? I can't wait until I start including
> references on my site ...) wherein Tyrannosauroidea is an outgroup to
> Maniraptoriformes, Tyrannoraptora includes Maniraptoriformes (and
> therefore Maniraptora, again, either sense).

Sues (1997 in JVP) or Sues & Makovicky (1998, AM Novitates) or Forster et
al. (1998, Rahonavis, Science) will all do for this case.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite