Re: Sauropod ancestry?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/19/00 4:11:53 AM EST, Adam.Yates@bristol.ac.uk writes:
>
> << Plateosaurus (or at least the Trossingen and
>  Halberstadt creature we call Plateosaurus - it probably isn't). >>
>
> Galton has a new paper out on just this subject.

That is what I was referring to. Personally I don't think Galton has
gone far enough in the paper. He has demonstrated that the type
specimen of Plateosaurus engelhardti has autapomorphies that distinguish
it from the well-known Trossingen and Halberstadt prosauropods, so he
has reinstated Plateosaurus longiceps as the next available name based
on diagnostic material for the latter samples. However there is no
justification for keeping the two species in the same genus, they share
no synapomorphies (that we know of yet I might add). The trouble is that
true Plateosaurus is a very poorly known taxon and it could fit just
about anywhere in prosauropod systematics. So until such time as a close
relationship between engelhardti and longiceps can be demonmstrated I
think another generic name needs to be applied to the latter.

cheers

Adam Yates