RE: Tarbosaurus?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> So, given this, [That _T. efremovi_ is a subadult of _T. bataar_]
> there are two choices: call it _Tyrannosaurus bataar_ or call it
> _Tarbosaurus bataar_.

Since _Tarbosaurus efremovi_ is the type species of _Tarbosaurus_, sinking
it into _T. bataar_ would sink the genus _Tarbosaurus_ along with it,
wouldn't it?

_T. bataar_ was made the type species of _Jenghizkhan_, so I would think
if you wanted to synonymize the two Asian species *and* put them in a
separate genus from the North American species, you'd have _Jenghizkhan
bataar_ and _Tyrannosaurus rex_.

Or have I gotten the rules wrong?
T. Michael Keesey <tmk@dinosauricon.com> | AIM <Ric Blayze> | ICQ <77314901>
                 My Worlds <http://dinosauricon.com/keesey>