Re: Sauropod ancestry?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 HPB1956@aol.com wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 Adam Yates wrote:
>
> << My current analysis finds extreme paraphyly of the prosauropoda with some
> Jurassic forms, such as Massospondylus, Lufengosaurus and Yunnanosaurus
> sharing a more recent common ancestor with Sauropoda than with Plateosaurus
> This is actually based on a host of Cranial and Postcranial characters. >>
>
> Would the exclusion of characters of pes and manus change your analysis
> drastically?

I haven't done this but I can say that the only likely effect is that it
would make the support for the ancestry of Sauropoda amongst
prosauropods stronger. This is because most of the characters that
support prosauropod monophyly are found in the hand, and most of these
are concentrated in the thumb. I think that Sauropods also had these
characters ancestrally but they were highly modified as they became
large, heavy, columnar limbed quadrapeds.

cheers

Adam Yates