LONGISQUAMA FURCULA

George asked what the 'furcula' of _Longisquama_ could be if it isn't a
furcula. Here's an (admittedly far fetched) idea: could it be a cloacal
bone? Certain geckos have U-shaped cloacal bones located either side
of their vent - the exact function of the bones (AFAIK) is unknown but
they presumably help in hemipenial erection. I am only familiar with
the cloacal bones of _Hoplodactylus_ (the New Zealand brown
geckos). I don't think these bones have a glenoid-like dimple however:
some of them do have serrated borders reminiscent of the 'feathering'
mentioned by John Merck.

I have seen Europe's largest dinosaur and can't wait to tell Matt Wedel.

"So that's why they became extinct: they didn't get a proper breakfast!"

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building