Re: Tarbosaurus?

In a message dated 7/21/00 3:54:32 AM EST, Adam.Yates@bristol.ac.uk writes:

<< This view seems overly simplistic to me as it doesn't take into account
 population dynamics and taphonomic biases. >>

Since we know nothing about tyrannosaurid population dynamics, the simplistic
view is the only one we can start from. We have no idea how many hatchlings
grew to adulthood, for example, because we have no tyrannosaurid nests; nor
do we have any specific idea what kinds of taphonomic and preservational
biases may have been operating. Heck, we don't even know whether there was
more than one species of large tyrannosaurid in the North American
Maastrichtian.