AZHDARCHID ENVIRONMENTS

Betty C wrote...

> the LINE drawings in question (NOT the painting) show 2 views of Q
> (scavenging like a vulture on a large carcass and as an active
> predator)- to illustrate the conflicting theories of lifestyle. The
> line drawings don't illustrate such an exclusive marine existance as
> you take umbrage against.

I was thinking that we were talking about Sibbick's newer illustration
that shows two hang-glider-like azhdarchids skim-feeding over the sea.
I've only seen it published in pamphlets and booklets: we have a big
blown up version here at the department (together with our lifesize
_Arambourgiania_ wing).  I should explain why it is that this painting
shows the azhdarchids as being marine: the reason is that the type
specimen of _Arambourgiania_ was recovered from rocks that were
apparently deposited well away from shore in a fully marine
environment. I've been told that the place of deposition was literally
100s of km from the palaeoshoreline. Was _Arambourgiania_ really a
marine feeder while _Quetzalcoatlus_ was freshwater? I suspect these
animals could feed from both environments, and I don't see why they
didn't.

"You assume too much"

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP