Re: Tarbosaurus?

In a message dated 7/21/00 10:46:03 PM EST, jeffmartz@earthlink.net writes:

<< The only real evidence we have whether or not the big and little
Tarbosaurus specimens belong the same species or not is morphological, and
morphological studies suggest there is a gradation in size and morphological
change between the little and big tyrannosaur specimens consistant with
ontogenetic change. >>

The original morphological studies of tarbosaurs found >four< different
species in >three< different genera, which were later lumped into one species
and still later unlumped into two species in two genera. I have yet to see
any ontogenetic study of Asiatic tyrannosaurids, so I don't know where you
got the idea that the smaller ones grade into the larger ones ontogenetically.