Standard taxonomic and geographic refererences

Dear Dinosaur-L:

Some of the work I'm doing on mammalian macroevolution has touched a little on dinosaurs, and I'm trying to get to grips with the huge literature in a quick and necessarily superficial way...Sounds ominous, I know. Anyway, I was wondering if there's a well-regarded and comprehensive dinosaurian taxonomy that covers species decribed after Weishampel, Dodson and Osmolska (1992), and in general how well the species list contained in that reference is regarded. My goal isn't bang-up-to-date phylogenetic revisions, but a standard reference similar to Corbet & Hill (1981) and Wilson & Reeder (1993) for mammals which can be used as a benchmark until superceded by an accumulation of little changes, or some seismic shake-ups.

I was also wondering if anyone has compiled a locality database for dinosaurian skeletal fossils, similar to the FAUNMAP project for Quaternary mammals, and if so whether it is online anywhere.

Apologies if this either has been covered before or really isn't interesting - desperation is beginning to strike at little!

Yours,

Rich Grenyer

Rich Grenyer

Mammalian Evolution and Conservation