Re: Tarbosaurus

In a message dated 7/22/00 1:13:42 PM EST, abcoulso@unity.ncsu.edu writes:

<< I think that's a gross oversimplification. Fossilization and preservation
can be affected by localized conditions such as soil pH, precipitation, the
scavenger fauna present, water velocity and stream gradient in that area,
etc. If all sand bars were created equal, Dinosaur National Monument wouldn't
be so unique (and spectacular) :) >>

We all know this, but there is absolutely no way to get a handle on how these
factors might affect the fauna that is being selected for fossilization. Tell
me how soil pH and/or rainfall will cause more juveniles to be preserved as
fossils versus adults, for example. If we see more juveniles versus adults
here than there, this is presumably because there >were< more juveniles
versus adults in the population here than there, not because the soil pH is
different, or there was more rain, or water flowed uphill. It does no good to
bring in all these extraneous factors that cannot even be remotely
quantified; we have to simplify the problem or we will get nowhere.