RE: Tarbosaurus

Tracy Ford wrote:
The range that T. rex had is greater than the Asia forms.
T. Rex. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Texas?

How certain is the generic or specific assignments of the tyrannosaurid specimens from some of these localities? I have in particular mind the specimen from Texas. In Ken Carpenter's 1990 _Dinosaur Systematics_ paper, I remember he made a special point of the fact that the maxilla (the only material recovered) of the Texas "Tyrannosaurus rex" differed in general shape from other T. rex specimens. How about the Colorado, Utah and New Mexican "T. rex" material? Some of that is just postcrania or crania bits that happen to be T. rex size. I think there is a healthy chance that we have another species or genus here. Of course, we won't know for sure until more is found. Any commentary?

Andy Farke