Re: definitions

<"To walk ['move' might be better for a serpent?] both ways" The "worm
lizards" which are neither worms, nor lizards and were named after a
mythical serpent with a head on both ends and could move in either
direction.>

I never thought I'd get a chance to ask this:
>From the Pharsalia, a Roman expedition to the Sahara(?):
"the dangerous Amphisbaena, also, that moves on at both of its heads."
I remember seeing pictures of a western US snake which holds its head and
end of tail parallel in the air while touching the hot sand only with its
midsection.
Is it possible that there is a similar African snake which might have been
the source of this story?

By the way, the amphisbaena was said to eat ants and when severed its two
parts would rejoin, rather than making two ordinary snakes.
Anyway, thanks.