Re: Tarbosaurus?

In a message dated 7/25/00 5:19:16 PM EST, jeffmartz@earthlink.net writes:

<< Try applying this solution to different localities within the SAME
 formation, such as for example, Cleavland-Lloyd vs. Como Bluff.  Playing
 around with taxonomic status isn't going to make Allosaurus stop making up
 75% of the population of Cleavland Lloyd, although both are supposedly
 floodplain deposits.  Variation in population sampling is the norm; nothing
 "wierd" or unusual about it. >>

Put them both together for a more reasonable picture of Allosaurus
distribution during the Late Jurassic of western North America. Then add in
all the other localities in the Morrison, whether they have Allosaurus or
not. At the risk of reopening a discussion that I promised to end: I was
looking at the >entire< Nemegt and the >entire< Hell Creek/Lance/Scollard
complex. Of course taphonomic effects will dominate at any >one< locality
(like, for example a bone bed); but these effects >even out< when spread over
the whole facies. Taphonomic effects are why we have >any< fossilized
dinosaurs at all! Thought this was too obvious a point to mention.