Re: Kritosaurus?

In a message dated 7/26/00 1:01:55 PM EST, David.Krentz@disney.com writes:

<< >  Has there been any recent conclusions as to the relationship of
Kritosaurus and Gryposaurus?  Are they indeed different species or are they
the same thing?  Sorry I can't be more specific about this, but I've left all
my reference at home, and it was hard enough trying to follow the logic
without memorizing it! >>

Kritosaurus is a nomen dubium because the type specimen of the type species
K. navajovius (posterior portion of skull) is too poorly preserved to
distinguish the genus from Hadrosaurus, Gryposaurus, Anasazisaurus, and
Naashoibitosaurus. Barring complications, use the name Gryposaurus for the
familiar big-nosed hadrosaur species of the northwestern US, and
Anasazisaurus or Naashoibitosaurus for the big-nosed hadrosaur species of the
southwestern US.