RE: Santanaraptor

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> João Simões Lopes Filho
>
> Santanaraptor means Raptor from Santana (Santana do Araripe,
> place in Ceara,
> Northeastern Brazil). Santana is a contracted form of Santa Ana, meaning
> literally "Saint Ann".
> What do you mean with "my Spanish"? We don't speak Spanish in Brazil...
> devil bird would be Pajaro Diablo in Spanish; Passaro Diabo(or
> Ave Diabo) in
> Portuguese.

Furthermore, the name "Santanaraptor" isn't in Spanish or in Portuguese;
it's in Latin (or at least Neo-latin).

"Raptor" doesn't mean "bird"; it is also (despite what some people think)
not the formal name of the living birds of prey.  It is the Latin word for
"theif, plunderer, snatcher, grabber, rapist, beseiger, etc."  It IS used in
semi-taxonomic, semi-ecomorphological terms for flying predatory birds
within Falconiformes and Strigiformes that hunt from the air (e.g., hawks,
eagles, falcons, kites, owls, but not secretary birds).  It is also a common
suffix for names of theropod dinosaurs and a few other fossil groups.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite