Diplodocid duck-and-cover techniques

I've got a strange new theory concerning diplodocid defense that I'd
like some feed back on, so bear with me.

I'm assuming that a diplodocid's main defense was its tail. If the
animal in question was threatened in some way, it would probably have
turned its back on its attacker, keeping its formidable tail between
them. In order to do this it would have to be facing away from the
aggressor.

Now, this would pose a problem for the sauropod. If it's looking the
other way, how does it aim its tail? If it bent its neck around to one
side, it would be leaving its other flank totally unprotected, creating
a blind spot that another attacker could take advantage of.

My theory is that the diplodocid may have bent its head downward so that
it was looking backwards through its legs, upside down. I understand
that the head of Diplodocus was angled downward at the neck, a bit like
the head of a horse. I would also expect that the zyga-thingies that
locked up the rest of the neck would have been smaller or entirely
absent in the anterior caudals, making them potentially more flexible.

Are there any reasons why this wouldn't be feasible?

GIS Archaeologist           http://dannsdinosaurs.terrashare.com
Melbourne, Australia        http://home.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/