Re: Santanaraptor

"Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." wrote:

> "Raptor" doesn't mean "bird"; it is also (despite what some people think)
> not the formal name of the living birds of prey.  It is the Latin word for
> "theif, plunderer, snatcher, grabber, rapist, beseiger, etc."

Or more literally "to sieze and carry off". Hence the painting "the rape
of the Sabines", which shows a couple of guys slinging a pair of women
over their horses. The word rape originally meant to abduct someone, and
is no doubt derived from a similar word as "raptor". I wonder if the
word "rapture" is of similar origin (since it involves being carried
somewhere).

GIS Archaeologist           http://dannsdinosaurs.terrashare.com
Melbourne, Australia        http://home.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/