From: Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2000 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: Santanaraptor

> "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." wrote:
> >
> > "Raptor" doesn't mean "bird"; it is also (despite what some people
think) not the formal name of the living birds of prey.  It is the Latin
word for "theif, plunderer, snatcher, grabber, rapist, beseiger, etc."
> Or more literally "to sieze and carry off". Hence the painting "the rape
of the Sabines", which shows a couple of guys slinging a pair of women over
their horses. The word rape originally meant to abduct someone, and is no
doubt derived from a similar word as "raptor". I wonder if the word
"rapture" is of similar origin (since it involves being carried somewhere).