Re: Shiva crater

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Raymond Ancog wrote:

> According to the paleogeography, Shiva should be directly antipodal to
> Chicxulub. I think recent satellite or bathymetric maps should depict it.

I don't quite follow this.  All the impacts should be in roughly the same
lattitude and wouldn't necessarily be 180 degrees around the globe, either.

Take a look at the work done by Bill Bottke, formerly of Cornell.
        http://astrosun.tn.cornell.edu/staff/bottke/index.html

BTW, Bottke is has just joined the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder,
Colorado.

The examples all show chains of impact craters.  SL-9 was a bit odd because
the spacing coincedentally made the impacts occur about once per Jovian day,
but they were all in about the same lattitude and not antipodal.

--
Mark Perew
Yesterday I could not spell gernulest.  Today I are one.