The hands of Titanis

 Dear all

Some time ago, there was an interesting re-evaluation of the fitness of the
extinct predatory ground birds of North America in the Discovery magazine. It
was claimed that Titanis, and probably some other Phorusrhacids too, had their
wings modified into arms bearing flexible fingers ending in mighty claws. The
evidence on which this was based, was that the structure of the wrist joint
didn't permit folding the arm, the humerus was solid bone, and thumb attached
to the carpometacarpus via a mobile ball and socket joint. No ulna, radius, nor
any fingers or claws had actually been found.

As I recently browsed the archives of the Dinosaur Mailing List, I came across
with messages postulating that the hands of Titanis were monodactyl, like
Mononykus, and that evidence for the presence of claws had been found. Have
some new bones emerged frome the ground? I have completely missed the evidence
for monodactylu in Titanis. Could somebody tell me from what these new
hypotheses have been derived?

Best,

Henri Rönkkö
----