"Non-shivering thermogenesis"?

 Dear all,

Im a little confused with respect to the ways poikilothermic endothermic
homeotherms utilize in creating their internal heat. Once I read that their
bodily heat is just a useful by-product of their fast metabolism (all the
energy they release in their cells is eventually converted to heat, as the
second rule of thermodynamics predicts).

But some texts have perplexed me. For example, in his book _The Dinosaur
Heresies_, Robert Bakker seems to treat the processes used to create internal
heat as completely independent of those leading to the lively and jumping
existence of birds and mammals.

He speaks of "non-shivering thermogenesis". I was just entertaining myself with
Bakker's letter "Dinosaur Bioenergtics - a reply to Bennett and Danzell, and
Feduccia" from year 1974 in the volume 28 of Evolution, pages 497-503. In his
letter, Bakker states that NSTG has something to do with the activity of sodium
pumps of the cell membranes. He refers to a paper to which I - surprisingly -
don't have access to. I'd be grateful if someone could clear up this mess of
mine a little.

Cordially,

Henri Rönkkö
----