RE: Western U.S.

Almost any Historical Geology textbook written in North America will have a
lot of information on the history of the west, from the Precambrian Basement
up to the Quaternary Alluvium.  If all you are after is a basic level
description, check out the Historical Geology textbook that NAU's Geology
Deparment uses, as well as others in the library.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite