Re: "Non-shivering thermogenesis"?

At 03:22 PM 31/07/00 +0000, Henri Rönkkö wrote:
He speaks of "non-shivering thermogenesis". I was just entertaining myself with Bakker's letter "Dinosaur Bioenergtics - a reply to Bennett and Danzell, and Feduccia" from year 1974 in the volume 28 of Evolution, pages 497-503. In his letter, Bakker states that NSTG has something to do with the activity of sodium pumps of the cell membranes. He refers to a paper to which I - surprisingly - don't have access to. I'd be grateful if someone could clear up this mess of mine a little.

There are a number of ways to maintain a body temperature above ambient without shivering. Basking and gigantothermy are the most obvious. Living leatherback turtles, for example, do not (as far as I know) shiver, but maintain body temperatures of up to 26 degrees C in 8 degree seawater through a combination of large size, a subcutaneous insulating layer that helps retain heat generated by normal muscle activity, a countercurrent exchange system in the flippers to reduce heat loss, and possibly the use of dark skin to absorb radiant solar heat.

Of course shivering isn't the only way we maintain body temperature either - it is only one of a number of metabolic processes. So we engage in "non-shivering thermogenesis" too.
--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court