Re: Air sacs in extant non-avian reptiles?

At 09:36 AM 31/07/00 -0400, ELurio@aol.com wrote:

The convention of naming groups is a highly political activity, and the
change of the term "reptile" is an example of this. The preferred term is
"amniote." A chicken is as much of a reptile as you are.

Here Mr Lurio is wrong. First of all, naming only becomes political if you let it do so, and there is no need for this (creationists aside). But since there seems to be a very good argument for excluding Synapsida from Reptilia on the grounds that they were separately derived from early tetrapods, a chicken is considerably more of a reptile than you are because some of its ancestors were reptiles, while none of yours (or mine, or even Mr Lurio's) were. We are, of course, all amniotes (or tetrapods, if you like).

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court