RE: "raptor"

In a message dated Mon, 31 Jul 2000  2:52:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Jarno
Peschier <JarnoP@ccs.nl> writes:

<<> > And rapator (for Rapator ornitholestoides)?

> I would guess that the namers had the same root in mind, but the term
> "rapator" does not actually occur in Latin, as far as I know.

It could be an altogether different verb ("rapare" instead of "rapere" with
the short middle E). I don't have Latin dictionary with me at work, so I
can't check if there is such a verb (rapo, rapare, rapatus?) and what its
meaning would be...>>

I do not believe there is any such verb.  There is a verb rapto, raptare, a
frequentative formed from the participle of rapere, but no rapo, rapare.

Nick P.