From: Henri Rönkkö <overmind@iobox.fi>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2000 12:03 PM
Subject: The hands of Titanis

>  Dear all
>
> Some time ago, there was an interesting re-evaluation of the fitness of
the extinct predatory ground birds of North America in the Discovery
magazine. It was claimed that Titanis, and probably some other Phorusrhacids
too, had their wings modified into arms bearing flexible fingers ending in
mighty claws. The evidence on which this was based, was that the structure
of the wrist joint didn't permit folding the arm, the humerus was solid
bone, and thumb attached to the carpometacarpus via a mobile ball and socket
joint. No ulna, radius, nor any fingers or claws had actually been found.

> As I recently browsed the archives of the Dinosaur Mailing List, I came
across with messages postulating that the hands of Titanis were monodactyl,
like Mononykus, and that evidence for the presence of claws had been found.
Have some new bones emerged frome the ground? I have completely missed the
evidence for monodactylu in Titanis. Could somebody tell me from what these
new hypotheses have been derived?