Re: The hands of Titanis

The last thing I red about this subject was in:

Chandler, R.M. (1994): The wing of Titanis walleri (Aves:Phorusrhacidae)
from the late Blancan of Florida. Bulletin of the Florida Museum of Natural
History Biological Sciences 36(6), pp. 175 - 180.

Fred

At 15:03 31-07-2000 DST, you wrote:

> Dear all
>
>Some time ago, there was an interesting re-evaluation of the fitness of the
extinct predatory ground birds of North America in the Discovery magazine.
It was claimed that Titanis, and probably some other Phorusrhacids too, had
their wings modified into arms bearing flexible fingers ending in mighty
claws. The evidence on which this was based, was that the structure of the
wrist joint didn't permit folding the arm, the humerus was solid bone, and
thumb attached to the carpometacarpus via a mobile ball and socket joint. No
ulna, radius, nor any fingers or claws had actually been found.

>As I recently browsed the archives of the Dinosaur Mailing List, I came
across with messages postulating that the hands of Titanis were monodactyl,
like Mononykus, and that evidence for the presence of claws had been found.
Have some new bones emerged frome the ground? I have completely missed the
evidence for monodactylu in Titanis. Could somebody tell me from what these
new hypotheses have been derived?