Re: Cryolophosaurus restoration

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000 08:22:58
 DinoData wrote:
>The article: Antarctica's Dinosaur Maven -A portarit of William Hammer By
>Steve Brusatte in Paleozoica on DinoData http://www.dinodata.net/ has
>photo's of the original and a beautifull illustration of Todd Marshall.

I knew you'd get this one out there, Fred.

In regards to the postcranial material of Cryolophosaurus ellioti.  I have had
the great fortune of being able to view and handle the original C. ellioti
skull and bones personally (last April).  Many of my photos are at
http://www.dinodata.net as Fred said.  A bunch more are at
http://www.geocities.com/stegob/augustana.html  That page isn't OFFICIALLY up
at my site yet (as three non-Cryolophosaurus pages haven't been finished yet),
but all of the Cryolo photos are done with.  I have the skull, the crest, some
teeth and vertebrae, the femur, the lower jaw, some hip bones, and some bones
of associated reptiles and Antarctic ferns.

In his 1994 and 1997 (and 1999, I believe) papers, Hammer stated that the some
of the postcranial material may not belong to Cryolophosaurus.  As of today, he
is basically saying that most of it (femur, vertebrae, ribs, hip bones) DOES
belong to C. ellioti, but is leaving in the possibility of another Antarctic
carnivore.

During my visit and my interview with Dr. Hammer, he treated those postcranial
elements as those of C. ellioti, and had them cast by a fossil reproduction
company into a complete mounted skeleton.  In fact, these mounts were just
recently completed.  One is going off to New Zealand for a tour, and the other
was just delivered to Hammer's lab at Augustana College.  It may be mounted
there within the next few years, if they find room for it.

I have seen photos of this mount, and it is about 22-24 feet long, and the
vertebrae, femus, and ribs that Hammer once wrote "may belong to C. ellioti"
are included.  In other words, yeah, most of the postcranial elements that
Jaime was talking about are likely those of C. ellioti.  Sorry about the
repetition :-)

In terms of other good reconstructions online, yeah, go to the Dinosauricon,
Morgan's page, Dino Data, my site above, the site that Jordan Mallon mentioned,
and Dan Bensen's Opus Dinosaur.  I think all of those links have already been
mentioned.  Hammer's Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs article is also online, along
with the photos Jordan mentioned.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct