HUMOR: Impossibly Huge Dinos: Further Implications

forwarded from sci.bio.paleontology with permissions

Impossibly Huge Dinos: Further Implications
by Hugh Johnson

First of all I would like to thank all the paleontology buffs and
renowned science luminaries who sent emails praising my
ground-breaking theoretical work, including the high-powered
head-hunters and intellectual talent scouts who are offering me
seven-figure salaries for working at home, and especially all the
congratulatory young ladies at One-900-HotChix.com. However, I
realize that, ncredible as it seems, a few myopic scoffers have
not taken my work seriously, and therefore I cannot rest on my l
aurels. I must forge ahead, and reveal the further implications of
 my core theory, much as Einstein did when he extended Special
Relativity to General Relativity. Science is best regarded as a
toolkit, with theories as tools, and the proof of a theory is
directly related to its usefullness as a tool. I hope to
demonstrate that my theory is useful for explaining far more
than mere oversized sauropods and pterosaurs. Once its full
explanatory power is revealed, the skeptics will be silenced
for good, or my name ain't Barney Rubble.

To recap just a bit, my core theory (see the post titled
"Impossibly Huge Dinos: Mystery Solved!") states that sauropod
gizzards mutated into nuclear cold fusion reactors, allowing
the beasts to subsist on a diet of water, and creating helium
gas as a byproduct. This helium, stored within the animal's
copious belly, produced enough atmospheric bouancy to allow the
sauropods to hover like balloons. A symbiotic relationship arose
with the pterosaurs, who were predatory gliders too heavy to fly
on their own. Several pterosaurs would perch along each sauropod's
neck and tail, thereby gaining a high platform from which they could
launch their attacks. By flapping their wings while still affixed
to their perches, they could maneuver and propell the sauropod,
while a 'helmsman' pterosaur at the rear controlled altitude by
stoppering the big sauropod's flatulence. I noted the reign of
terror these sauropod/pterosaur air squadrons would have spread
wherever they went, but I hadn't yet worked out the details.
Now, with the help of some brilliant insights from Henry, my
seven-year-old prodigy nephew, I can tell the rest of the story.

One can only imagine the impression the pterosaurs would have made
to the lowly earthbound creatures down below. Even the mighty
tyrannosaurs would have fled in fear, as the pterosaurs appeared
to be so all-powerful that they could lift a gigantic sauropod
and whisk it away to a gruesome fate in some communal eyrie. The
pterosaurs would have adapted to this situation, taking for
granted that other predators scattered before them, leaving the
hunting grounds open to themselves. But ultimately, they were
frail, stork-like creatures, despite their impressive wingspans.
The other predators would have caught on to this in due course,
and would have stopped being intimidated. As the hunting grounds
re-filled with uncowed competetors, the pterosaurs had to evolve
the trick of releasing one sauropod's helium all at once, like
releasing the air from a toy balloon. The sauropod would have shot
across the sky like an unguided missile -- which is exactly what
it was. With its gizzard irradiated by years of nuclear reactions,
it carried enough fissionable material to reach critical compressive
 mass on impact, and with all the deuturium present, the resulting
explosion would have been that of a hydrogen bomb. It was then a
simple matter for the pterosaurs to glide in and gobble up the
tender fresh-cooked snacks.

The really amazing predictive power of this theory becomes apparent
when we consider what would have happened when this scenario was
played out in equatorial regions, with the sacrificial sauropod
launched in an easterly direction. The earth's rotation and angular
momentum would have contributed to the beast's speed and trajectory,
bringing it very close to -- and sometimes surpassing -- escape
velocity. It may not be possible to calculate how many times such a
n event took place, but obviously it happened often enough to put
many many sauropod corpses in stable orbit, where, over millions of
years, their mutual micro-gravitational attraction slowly drew them
together into one humongous satellite. Within this huge agglomeration
of dessicated tissues and irradiated gizzards, the heavy isotopes
eventually sank to the center, melting the whole thing into a
carbonaceous boloid with an irradium core. It was then only a
matter of time before the orbit deteriorated in the
extra-atmospheric drag, and the whole thing came crashing down
in a tropical area -- the Yucatan of course -- with an explosive
force beyond the pterosaur's wildest dreams, sending death and
K-T irradium to every corner of the globe.

That's exactly how it happened. Can there be any doubters left?
I want to thank Henry for his nuclear physics expertise and his
handiness with the dictionary.

hugh ? semplicesoft ? com