Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW...???...

Ralph W. Miller III wrote:

>>Dinosaurs: A Look at Dinosaur Reproduction_ show only one possible record of
dinosaur eggs and babies east of the Mississippi River (#84 on the Late
Cretaceous map):

"Harell Station, Alabama; Mooreville Chalk, Campanian: Dinosaur (?) egg
(Dobie, 1978)."<<

And that's a very odd specimen, indeed. I examined it briefly, back in the
mid-eighties, while looking at mosasaurs in the University of Auburn
collection (the egg is currently on loan to the Alabama State Museum in
Tuscaloosa). It definitely *looks* like a dinosaur egg (and the Mooreville
has produced hadrosaurs, nodosaurs, and theropods), and an uncrushed,
well-preserved one, at that. But the egg was found in sediment deposited a
fair distance from shore, in moderately deep water. It's a specimen that very
much needs to be reexamined by an egg person. It'd post the catalogue number,
but I don't have Dobie's original description handy.

Caitlin R. Kiernan