Re: Which is Cosesaurus (palatal teeth)

What about palatal teeth in prolacertiforms? I assume early prolacertiforms had palatal teeth, so where in the proposed prolacertiform-to-pterosaur lineage were the palatal teeth lost?
-----Ken Kinman

From: "Larry Febo" <larryf@capital.net>
Subject: Re: Which is Cosesaurus?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 06:57:20 -0400

>On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 NJPharris@aol.com wrote:
>
>[Re: Prolacertiforms]
>
>> Well, perhaps; but the problem is that most workers do not even consider
them
>> archosaurs, which would place them well away from the ancestry of the
>> Ornithodira.
>
>Unless, of course, pterosaurs were to turn out not to be archosaurs, as in
>Dave Peters' phylogeny, wherein Ornithodira (Pterosauria + Dinosauria)
>actually includes Archosauria (Crocodylia + Neornithes)!

Well,...I contacted Dave Peters soon after I made that last post, to make
sure I wasn`t misrepresenting him. Since he hasn`t responded to the list, I
feel I must mention that in fact he does NOT consider any of the
prolacertilians as Ornithodiran! (So I guess you had better not call that
phylogeny "Dave Peters" ). He also said that Cosesaurus has a mesotarsal
ankle, but that it evolved independantly of the dinosaurs. ( I am assuming
he dosen`t consider pterosaurs ornithodiran either, or rejects the term
ornithodiran,....but here I may again be misrepresenting him......I sure
would like to see his paper on the subject if it is ever published!).
So,...Cosesaurus has independently evolved mesotarsal ankles, and antorbital
fenestra that may not really be antorbital fenestra?....a
"pseudoarchosaur"???"