Re: Harmonious depredations

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, John Bois wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Ronald Orenstein wrote:
> > [...]
>
> > Though rheas frequently hide their nests, "the male sometimes uproots all
> > the vegetation within a radius of 2-3 meters around the nest, apparently to
> > isolate it, in case there is a fire".
>
> Relevancy?

The nest area is made even more noticeable.

> [...]

To bring this back a bit towards dinosaurs, large dinosaurs
would've needed space in which to move. Vegetation surrounding
a nest would've been trampeled, most likely. This may well
have made the nest more noticeable.

Large dinosaurs mean large piles of feces. If the parents
messed in the area of the nest, smell could also draw
attention. My aussie is pretty good at finding smelly
things (luckily he doesn't roll on them...).