Re: Terrestriality is a bias

Hi, All!
    Normally I don't think of theropods (or any non-avian dinosaur) as
arborial, but Tracy and George have got me thinking a bit. It seems to me
that the best climbers of trees include parrots and woodpeckers. Now, I've
never noticed much in a theropod to remind me of a parrot (except for
*Oviraptor*s beak) but woodpeckers might just be another story. They climb
using sharp, curved claws, and a stiff set of tailfeathers. Dromaeosaurs
have sharp, curved claws, and a stiff, prabably feathered tail. It wouldn't
surprise me too much if some of the smaller ones could get UP a tree about
as well as a housecat. Getting down, however, might have posed problems for
an animal with such uni-directional ankles. Just ask any fireman.
    Just my $.02
            B.

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World