Re: Bracken

At 12:35 AM 6/10/00 -0400, John Bois wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Betty Cunningham wrote:

> Could you suggest kudzu-equivalents or blackberry bush-equivalents as
> mass coverage that's not grass?

But they all need alot of water.  Grass has an amazing ability to soak up
available water.  The combination of productivity at low predator density
(because few prey) may be winning for ostriches.

Brambles (blackberry relatives) and rambling roses grow quite well in semi-arid areas in the western USA, sharing dominance with bunch grasses in many cases. (There are descriptions of Rosa-Agropyron-Festuca associations in the Rocky Mountain zone, for instance). We even have considerable wild bramble growing here in LA County, though it is rarely dominant.

Not only that, but there is an in-place Late Cretaceous florule with blackberry-like bushes in it. (That much I remember for certain, what else was there I am less certain of). So Betty's idea is even supported by the fossil record!