Re: Overview of the cast Vs real bone thread

Yeah, there are plenty of museums where you can go up and touch the mounts,
especially over there in Europe (I went to a couple of these and they don't say
anything if you touch the bone, but if you touch the glass display cases you're
screamed at).

Chris Brochu also mentioned the excitement he felt when looking at the original
Beowulf manuscripts, while looking at a copy is an everyday, normal feeling.
The same can be said about another recent Field Museum exhibit, the Dead Sea
Scrolls.  Before Sue was mounted droves of people came out to the Field to see
many of the original scrolls.

I myself have copies of some of them in encyclopedias and other books.  And, of
course, we can read translations in parts of the Bible, but seeing some of
these original documents, not paper 'casts,' was what brought millions of
dollars and thousands of people to the museum.

I don't mind cast dinosaurs personally, but one of my favorite aspects of the
Florence Museum of Natural History was that EVERYTHING was original.  Every
single mount (with the exception of a cast Gallimimus skull that was stuck in
the corner).  It was all real-and told the story of Italy's prehistory.  But,
what really got me about some of these exhibits, as Sam mentioned, was their
HUMAN history.  Georges Cuvier examined and studied many of the bones that are
on display at the Florence Museum.  In fact, by studying many of them he named
the Villafranchian fauna.  F. Nesti found several of the invertebrate fossils,
including the first fossil ever found in Florence-an ammonite.  This is
exhibited to, and as I looked at it I couldn't help but imagine the human
history involved.

Sue isn't much different.

Steve
---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct