Re: Terrestriality is a bias

fredericus ruhe wrote:

> >Luis should have added this, the retrevered helix is just as low on the
> >metatarsals as modern birds. This means that it could have easily perched
> >while using its long third digit (?).
> >Tracy
> >
> Do you mean a helix, or a hallux?

I am sure that Tracy means hallux here.

Also, in reference to an earlier question, the specimen is very tiny, and
Czerkas
considers it to be a hatchling.  It has many bones in articulation, but is
preserved as an impression, albeit a highly detailed one, and both slab and
counterslab were on display in connection with the Florida Symposium of Dinosaur
Bird Evolution.

It hasn't been named or published yet, and it is unclear who owns the fossil, or
how it came into their possession.  I hope that it ultimately finds a good home
in a public institution, where it may be accessible to interested scientists.

-- Ralph W. Miller III       gbabcock@best.com