Re: Bambiraptor

Dan:
Ah! alas for hand held low light photography (and a broken bounce
flash), makes for fuzzy photos... I will remedy this someday. Have a
verbal promise to remove the glass case someday for just such a
photographic encounter, maybe before 2001? And I'll use a real camera.
;-)

I believe the juvenile was characterised as a "teenager", at any rate
about 75% grown. The holotype paper (below) had the typical pen and ink
outlined bone reconstruction seen laterally (such as seen under the
adult specimen on my site)(Can't find my note on who drew it.). There's
a stainless steel sculpture by Robert De Palma.

The adult specimen had only a left humerus and a few carpal fragments
preserved from the arm, a rather complete left leg, though.

Mesurements were given (in mm):

Adult humerus 145
Adult femur 170
Adult tibia 225
Adult metatarsal III 105

Juvenile humerus 105
Juv. femur 119
Juv. tibia 168
Juv. metatarsal III 78

Juv. ulna 95
Juv, metacarpal II 48
3 phalanges of digit II 85

Thus this _Bambirapter_ juvenile (with clipped nails, i.e. without the
unguals) would have a reach of 333 mm vs. adult's roughly calculated 446
to 462 mm. In a face-to-face with an adult, the juvenile would be
swatting air while getting raked.
_____
See no reason why those arms couldn't wrap around a tree or grab either
side of a trunk, and with those feet, the nails probably could work
better than the spikes a linesman or logger straps to his leg. Wonder
if  saltatorial tree-top movement could be possible? That is, using a
frond as a diving or leaping board and sticking those claws out to latch
into the next tree trunk. Long legs, while great for flat out running
also are useful, with those long arms, for grabbing that next branch.
_B. feinbergi_ would seem too large for arboreal acrobatics but if we
look back in time, before Dollo effect, some yet undiscovered half-pint
dromaeosaur...

What kind of debris would accumulate under the trees? I have a Norfolk
Island Pine in my front yard which drops over a foot of branchlets each
year underneath, which takes forever (several years) to decay (makes
great compost). A nearby cycad doesn't really drop its fronds, they
shrivel and remain attached, many reaching the ground forming a kind of
ramp. Of course, this debris may never reach the ground if a sauropod
(dew claw work like linesman spike?) or hadrosaur vacuum walked by.
(Would they eat brown vegetation?) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is the
"sister kate" shimmy up a trunk needn't be the only way to gain the tree
tops. Many anatomical forms can effect the same end. Those nails would
surely be a help in any vegatation climbing.
My cycad top has an accumulation of blown leaves, sand, and a fig tree
growing. Rustle the leaves and a boil of palmetto bugs (cochroaches)
erupts. Wonder if mesozoic mammels found similar nests, and did some
sharp-eyed therapod see those juicy mammels? A run up a frond ramp, or a
run onto a pile of debris and a leap, a grab with those claws and the
mouth is right there where the mammel is enjoying his insect.Move into
the trees and radiation to new niches. Hmmm... there might be something
to this birds-dinosaurs thing, huh? We gotta find more bones.
_____
Can't wait. Have made arrangements to take a vacation. Going to check
out the Disney World models, and then on to the old  home town and check
out the Fighting Dinosaurs and all the other China goodies at AMNH. Have
to check out the fishes. That section wasn't opened yet the last time I
stopped by. Hope I can say hello to my old friend _Deinichthys_ (now
_Dunkleosteus_).
_____
AS for the South Florida Symposium publication, I'm on the list to be
notified when it's available, haven't heard anything yet. And I'm
getting itchy. I'm sitting on a couple of nice photos of that edentulous
therapod, the scratched dentary, and Steve Czerkas's miniature. The
Chinese "feathered" therapods had only blinding reflections off the
protective glass so until I learn PhotoShop and make a chimoeric photo
those won't be posted either. Have kinda fallen in love with that
"Sandy" pachy reconstruction of Triebold's.

Enough.
-mpc
Michael Patrick Corriss   http://www.gate.net/~mcorriss/
Coming soon... parasites and stamps

Burnham, David A., Derstler, Kraig L., Currie, Philip J., Bakker, Robert
T.,Zhou, Zhonghe, and Ostrom, John H. "Remarkable New Birdlike Dinosaur
(Theropoda: Maniraptora) from the Upper Cretaceous of Montana" The
University of Kansas Paleontological Contributions Number 13, March
15,2000 Lawrence, Kansas