Re: Terrestriality is a bias

At 12:50 AM 12/06/2000 -0400, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
Don't think the ultimate bird-theropod ancestor was obligatorily bipedal; it
was likely a semi-erect climbing quadruped. Bipedality evolved >along with<
the evolution of the forelimb into the wing, and whenever a theropod lineage
split off into terrestrial cursoriality, the forelimb was useless for
locomotion and simply vestigialized.

Well, this is George's BCF hypothesis, of course - in part for the reasons I suggested, I don't see how you could ever know this for sure. I assume, though, that most workers agree, do they not, that bipedality is primitive in dinosaurs?

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court