Re: Discovery could Endanger T.Rex Name

> Dakota ranch could be part of a fossil found earlier,
> in 1892, and called Manospondylus gigas, said Peter
> Larson, president of the Black Hills Institute of
> Geological Research.
>
> If that's the case, Larson said, rules of paleontology
> say the first name would take precedence.

heres some gumph from the ICZN (someone will correct me if wrong !);

i guess that there is a clause that says that if a name has been in
common usage (and there is time limit for this, I forget) but that
subsequently turns out to be preoccupied (like T rex in this case), then
the younger (more used) one can be made a nomen protectum ?.

the older name gets designated a nomen oblitum ?

---- a similar thing could have to happen with the fossil duck
Presbyornis.

Cheers, Gareth