Re: Ad Explanorum Origam

*Betticapra cunninghamae* wrote:

<if, as many people have suggested, the structures of
Longisqama are a framework and have no surface tissue
they would have the aerodynamics of knitting needles
(providing they aren't fern fronds....).

What reconstruction would you want them to do calcs
off? The flanges with a heavy solid border
reconstruction? The knitting needles? The fern
fronds?>

  I could already say that knitting needles won't hold
water; unlike recently discussed spider silk, the
surface ratio of the "threads" and shaft are so much
less than the supposed surface area and mass of the
animal in question that they would flap about in wind,
but I could not see them hold air for creating air
pressure.

  I would work on the structure itself, as a group,
with a single central "rachis" with symmetrical vanes
"cranially" and "caudally", using a length/width ratio
of greater than 5 or so (the structures have an
individual ratio of about 10:1, I think (?) ) that
have a non-perforate surface. Oh, assume the "raches"
are stiff. We can worry about the nature of the
structures later, since these are impressions, unless
microscopy could reveal true phyllic or flesh-tissue
micro-structure. Model six of these in a narrow fan
(as preserved) and see, if oriented horizontally, they
could create enough air pressure to hold aloft an
animal of the suggested mass of *Longisquama*.

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden

Qilong---is temporarily out of service.
Check back soon.