Re: bauplan convergence

In a message dated 6/14/00 5:50:00 PM EST, NJPharris@aol.com writes:

<< Perhaps so, but one of the leading theories of the origins of insect
flight
 (and, I presume, the one to which Tim was alluding) is that insect wings
 developed first as propulsive organs for moving the animal across the
surface
 of the water and that insect flight--*powered* flight--developed from the
 pond up. >>

I find this argument very difficult to swallow, but then I don't know much
about insects. Are there any extant aquatic insects that have such propulsive
organs?