Re: bauplan convergence

In a message dated 6/14/00 3:55:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

> I find this argument very difficult to swallow, but then I don't know much
>  about insects. Are there any extant aquatic insects that have such
> propulsive
>  organs?

If I recall correctly, the hypothesis was formulated following studies of
stoneflies (Plecoptera), which are primitive insects and poor fliers.  In
cold weather, the stoneflies could not fly, but they could scoot across the
surface of the ponds where they emerged from their nymphal stage by buzzing
their wings.  More energetic flies could lift the front of the body off the
surface and skate along on the hindlegs alone.  That's the gist of it, if I
remember it right.

Nick