Re: Paleontological magazines?

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:14:18
 Lipkin,Anne C.(NXI) wrote:
>Is there a publication of paleontological interest, such as a magazine,
>available to the public? I know that scientific journals are available to
>everyone but I was looking for something that has scientific information
>that could also be  understood by a lay person. I was looking for something
>that was comparable to Archaeology magazine.

Well, yes and no.  There is nothing really comparable to Archaeology, but there
are three good ones out there.

Fossil News <http://www.fossilnews.com> is a monthly journal of avocational
paleontology that focuses on everything from trilobites to dinosaurs to
mammals.  It also includes book reviews, a kids' corner, a series on state
fossils, and a feature fossil section.

The Prehistoric Times <http://members.aol.com/Pretimes> is one that a couple
list members write for.  This mag is bi-monthly and contains a lot of dinosaur
art.  It also has many interviews with artists and paleontologists, a dinosaur
and prehistoric animal of the month, modeling tips, book and modeling reviews,
and tons of photographs.

Dinosaur World <http://members.aol.com/Hellcreek> is a tri-yearly magazine that
contains the most scientific information of the three.  Each issue is about
60-80 pages long, and contains at least ten interviews with paleontologists and
artists.  Dinosaur and paleo sites from around the world are highlighted and
reviewed.  There are also many book reviews, and a paleo news section.

I get all three, and like each one.  Fossil News is good for general paleo
articles for the educated lay reader.  Pre Times is good for those who like
looking at dinosaur art.  Dinosaur World is so thick it is like a book, and is
good for those who love to read about the latest in dinosaur news and hear from
paleontologists.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct