Re: bauplan convergence

At 06:53 PM 6/14/00 -0400, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 6/14/00 5:50:00 PM EST, NJPharris@aol.com writes:

<< Perhaps so, but one of the leading theories of the origins of insect
flight
 (and, I presume, the one to which Tim was alluding) is that insect wings
 developed first as propulsive organs for moving the animal across the
surface
 of the water and that insect flight--*powered* flight--developed from the
 pond up. >>

I find this argument very difficult to swallow, but then I don't know much
about insects. Are there any extant aquatic insects that have such propulsive
organs?

Yes, that is the origin of the theory. Some extant insect nymphs, I believe in dragonflies or damselflies, use this method to get to land prior to molting into a winged adult.

The paper that proposed the idea was very well presented, and I found the concept quite compelling, actually.

[Indeed, the only alternative to a "trees-down" origin of flight in *birds* I find even remotely plausible is the one that suggests protowings developed for swimming, as in penguins].