Resurrecting Old Dino Names

  We can use the term _nomen lazarum_, I guess, for
this little proceedure ...

  Several names have been "tossed" in favor of more
effective, ealier, sufficient names (senior
objectives).

  There are two major cases in Mammalia, *Eohippus*
and *Dinohyus* that have replaced the more
conventional, "proper" names now in use,
*Hyracotherium* and *Daeodon*. Thing is, the first is
in wide use as the correct name and it would be
destabilizing to go back and flip the tables at the
ICZN on this; I don't see why we should replace
*Daeodon*, but I'm no expert on entelodonts and don't
have the mammalogist's perspective on the matter.

  *Diatryma* got sunk for *Gastornis*, but is this
really a problem? I mean, when you get down to it,
really; really, deep down, is it a problem? Popularity
of the first name would suggest sinking *Gastornis* as
the junior subjective, but again, is it a problem?

  *Antrodemus,* *Manospondylus,* *Agathaumus,* etc.
are all rather scrappy material that only after
finnagling a little would appear to separate them from
their proposed senior objectives (Allo, Tyranno, and
Tric, respectively), but this stuff is so insufficient
it's best not to worry about them. The second names
are so strongly engrained in the studies and
literature that it is no longer funny to consider
ressurecting one name for another; So kiddies don't
instantly recognize Allo, how fast do you think a
little kid will say "No, that Tiewannosawwus wex!"
Faster'n you could shake a *Compsognathus* at it, I
bet!

  Should we sink *Chirostenotes* under *Caenagnathus*
because the jaw of the latter is more diagnostic than
the manus of the former?

  Larson will publish, I'm sure, and _if_ he suggests
the holotype of *Manospondylus* (which Osborn, 1915,
regarded as indeterminate) belongs to the same form as
the holotype of *Tyrannosaurus* (admittedly not the
best material, either), then someone can appeal the
name to be shifted to the type of "Dynamosaurus" or
simply to sink the former name under the ICZN's
plenary powers. Whatever.

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden