From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Betty Cunningham
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 1:27 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: bauplan convergence

I'm not positive but I think ibises do the hoppy flappy wing thing.
Many birds such as grouse and chickens and so on do an out-streatched
wing shuffleing dance thing to attract the babes.  Cranes do that
holding back the head and spreading the wings thing as a courtship
ritual too.

Wings are a major portion of MANY bird mating displays.  It seems
likel;y that's what proto-feathered owings were for before flight.  And
the hoppy flappy thing seems most likley to introduce launch situations
to such animals.

I'd forgotten who suggested this onlist, but I didn't originate the
idea.  It just makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.

-Betty

--
Flying Goat Graphics
http://www.flyinggoat.com