Re: bauplan convergence

>In chasing prey on the ground only the most dimwitted hunter would start
flapping his arms around<

Although I disagree with Betty on this point, I remain puzzled about the
evolutionary sequences that produced an arm that appears optimal for an
outstretched flapping motion but also folds so neatly against the body and
fits so well with a streamlined bipedal cursorial bauplan. If you look only
at the avian wing as an adaptation for flight, it looks (to me anyway) far
less complicated than if you look at the whole >bird< as an animal that was
simultaneously being modified for flight and cusorialty.

PTN