Re: bauplan convergence

In a message dated 6/16/00 9:50:04 PM EST, kinman@hotmail.com writes:

<< I see no big problems with such a sequence, but I believe  protofeathers
first evolved for either display or insulation, not both at  the same time. I
would suspect that display came first, and insulation would have eventually
begun to reinforce that.  Then the aerodynamic developments followed. >>

Neither display nor insulation provides a >primary cause< for the evolution
of feathers. When an organism has no feathers, it cannot use them for
display, for brooding, or for insulation(!). This would require the organism
to predict the future (e.g., "I will need insulation and to show off, so I'll
evolve feathers"). Rather, the first feathers evolved for some other reason,
and as soon as or very shortly after they appeared, they would have found
secondary uses (exaptations) for display or for insulation (or for
parachuting). But the primary cause must have been something positive and
internal. The best suggestion I've read so far is that feathers appeared as a
means of sulfur excretion through molting. Excess sulfur is used up in the
keratin proteins of the feathers, which are shed from time to time during the
animal's life. The excess sulfur itself may have resulted from a metabolic
shift toward homeothermy in the archosaur lineage.

See: Reichholf, Josef H., 1996. "Die Feder, die Mauser und der Ursprung der
Voegel," Archaeopteryx 14: 27-38.