Mesozoic rainforests?

The other night I was watching National Geographic video on the tropical rainforest. They said that some trees have this extension on the leaves; drip tips that help drain the leaves of water. If the water was on the leaves for a long time it would be departmental for the leaves and trees. These forests have from 100 to 400 inches of rain a year.

I don’t know about paleobontany, but are there any Mesozoic leaves with these drip tips? Liaoning? I don’t think so. It would be interesting to find out if there are any rainforests in the Mesozoic. This would mean a lot of symbiotic relationships between plants and insects, plants and vertebrates.

Also, if we look at the habitats that are around today, and took an inventory of the types of animals living there, there bauplan, then we can extrapolate fossil environments with similar bauplans. The more ‘adavanced’ mammalian bauplan wouldn’t be there, i.e. Primates, but there would be a host of other kinds of bauplans. Then we can look at a formation, site, see what kind of bauplan’s are there, then extrapolate what kind of animals ‘should’ be there, then hopefully find them. Also the level of evolution needs to be added, i.e. the Paleozoic and up to the late middle Triassic wouldn’t have a ‘bird-like’, bat-like, animal flying around.

A lot of if/then’s, but something to consider.

Tracy